This article guides Admins on how to install our Slack app for your organization. In this article, learn how to:
- Install Culture Amp for Slack
- Sync users
- Send a test notification
- Enable Performance notifications (Performance only)
- Manage + customize messages
NOTE: In July 2020, Culture Amp released an update to the Culture Amp app for Slack introducing new features. If you already have the app installed, you must do a one-time update of the app from within their Culture Amp account settings to receive the new features.
Notes about the Slack app
- The Slack app is for Engagement and Performance customers. We've designed unique features for each.
- For Engagement, only survey communications will be delivered via both Slack as well as email for any future survey that you launch. Reminders are only sent to people who have not submitted their survey yet.
- For Engagement, Slack notifications are translated into all our supported languages and can be customized.
- At this time Performance notifications and reminders cannot be customized.
- Employees with an active Culture Amp account, an active Slack account, and matching emails across both these accounts will receive survey invites and reminders via Slack and email.
- Employees that only have an active Culture Amp account (or non-matching emails) will continue to receive the standard email communications that you expect from Culture Amp.
Step 1: Install Culture Amp app for Slack
NOTE: The Slack integration must be set up by an Account Admin for your Culture Amp account.
- Go to Account admin > Notifications > Get started
- Select Install and follow the prompts to install the app
- Select Allow to allow access
- Select Submit to finalize the installation
NOTE: The app may require pre-approval by your Slack Workspace App Manager, depending on your Slack Workspace settings. See if Culture Amp is listed in the approved apps for your Slack workspace. If the app does require pre-approval before installation, you will be prompted to request approval from your App Manager during the installation.
Install the app
Submit to finalize installation
Step 2: Sync users
In this stage of the process, Culture Amp syncs with Slack to sync users. When these systems sync will attempt to "match" a corresponding Slack user by email address. Users are considered "matched" if an exact match of their email is found in both systems. These "matched" users will be able to receive survey messages via Slack.
If a match does not exist, we will flag that employee so you can check their emails in each system and make updates accordingly. Go to Account admin > Users page to see any unmatched users. A warning icon will appear next to the name of any users that do not have a successful match.
Step 3: Send a test notification
Once Culture Amp for Slack is installed, click Send test notification to send yourself a notification in Slack. You are the only person who will receive this notification.
Step 4: Enable Performance notifications
Enable Performance notifications so your employees can receive Performance notifications and give and request feedback from within Slack.
Step 5: Manage + Customize Messages
Manage who receives messages
Once the integration is enabled on your account, Engagement survey communications will be delivered via both Slack as well as email for any future survey that you launch. You can use the default Slack messages or you can customize them.
If you wish, you can deactivate Slack communications on individual surveys. To do so, simply:
- Navigate to a survey in Draft mode.
- Go to the Communications tab.
- Click Disable Slack for this survey.
Customize Messages (Engagement only)
TIP: You can customize messages for survey invites and reminders for all Engagement, Lifecycle, and Effectiveness surveys. To get started, click on the Surveys tab and select the survey you want to customize, then go to Survey Launch > Communications > Customize Slack messages.
Enable Continuous Feedback
If your organization currently has continuous feedback disabled, you must enable it in order for your organization to give and receive feedback in Slack. Contact your Customer Success coach to enable it or reach out to email@example.com.
NOTE: Admins can turn notifications on and off for their entire organization, but not at a group or individual level.
Update to the latest Culture Amp app for Slack
In July 2020, we launched a new version of our Culture Amp for Slack. If you installed our app prior to this date, update the app for your organization to get the latest features. Users will still receive notifications without updating to the latest version but will be unable to use the latest features.
Accept the new scopes in your Slack directory
The administrator of your organizations Slack account first has to approve the new scopes for our app.
These scopes allow users to access shortcuts and commands within Slack such as “Give feedback” and “Request feedback.”
- The Slack administrator needs to login to their Slack workspace dashboard and go Settings & Administration > Manage Apps > Restricted Apps and select Neko by Culture Amp. The Culture Amp app will live under "Restricted" if your Slack admin hasn’t approved the new scopes (last updated July 2020.)
There will be an option to approve or restrict the new scopes of the Culture Amp app for your workspace. Click “Approve for workspace” to enable the newest version of the Culture Amp app for Slack.
Note: If you have previously installed the Culture Amp app but cannot find it in your workspace, it’s likely because your admin has removed it.
Step 2: Update and resync Culture Amp for Slack in your CA admin Dashboard
Once your Slack admin has approved the new scopes, uninstall and reinstall Culture Amp for Slack.
- Go to Account Admin > Notifications > Remove Slack
- Add the Slack app by selecting Get Started
- Select Allow
The Culture Amp app for Slack is a bot, which means it has a special permission scope called 'bot'.
The list of allowed operations of a bot is listed in the "Limitation" section of this doc https://api.slack.com/bot-users.
Out of all those permissions, we use only 3 of them.
users.list to get a list of users that matches employees in our system.
im.open to open a direct communication channel between our bot and the user.
chat.postMessage to send a direct message