Choose your import method
To unlock important insights into your organization’s culture and employees’ performance using Culture Amp, you’ll need to provide your employees’ names, email addresses, manager information, and demographic details. This data will likely change over time as you use more of the platform, so it’s important to learn how to upload this data and keep it up to date.
We have two main methods for importing data:
- an HRIS integration
- a manual file upload
If you manage your employee data in an HRIS we support integrations for, we recommend an integration as it allows you to import your data automatically and set up a daily sync. Integrations are available for a wide variety of HRIS: we offer native integrations for BambooHR, Namely, Workday, Personio and Gusto and integrations via SFTP for many others, including ADP, UltiPro, SAP SuccessFactors, Oracle PeopleSoft, Cornerstone, HiBob, and Ceridian.
Learn how to integrate Culture Amp to your HRIS.
Depending on the HRIS integration you use, the user data will be updated using our Partial or Full Import Process. More information about the difference between these two processes is further down in this article.
If you will be manually uploading your employee data, you’ll create a spreadsheet file of your employee information and demographics.
When you upload your file, you will have two import options:
- Full import: when you upload a data file that contains complete information about all of your employees. Employees not included in your data file will become inactive in Culture Amp.
- Full imports are helpful before a performance review cycle, engagement survey launch, etc. and when you have had employees join and leave your organization.
- Partial import: when you upload a data file that contains new or updated information for a subset of your employees. Your employees’ demographics will only change if they are included in your data file. Employees not in your data file will remain active.
- Partial imports are helpful when adding in newly hired employees or updating existing employee information (e.g. manager changes).
Learn how to create your employee data file.
Import your data
Whether you’re using an HRIS integration or a manual upload, we will guide you through everything you need to know about importing your data into Culture Amp on a single screen. Our platform will process your data, display a summary of any changes, and allow you to confirm that your data is accurate before the import is processed.
- Click Settings >> users
- Click Import users
- If using an HRIS integration, scroll down to sync data from your HRIS. If you are doing a manual upload, select full or partial import and upload a CSV or XLSX file.
- Click Next to import and validate your data
- Click Next once the progress bar has completed on the Validation page
- If you are adding a hierarchy, you’ll see the hierarchy tab next. Select your Manager Identifier (typically Manager Email) and click Next. Alternatively, turn off the hierarchy for now with the toggle button, and click Next. The system will validate your data once more.
- Review the import summary (more information on this below). Click Import data if you are satisfied with the summary.
- Your data will now begin to be processed and applied to your account. You can navigate to other parts of the platform or log off and the changes will still be applied.
NOTE: No emails are sent to employees letting them know you added them to the platform. Once your survey has launched, then you can invite them to sign in and look at reports.
Reviewing Import Details
You can dive deeper into your data upload by either clicking the Show details link or selecting one of the icons in the Summary of imported data dashboard.
NOTE: this section will only be visible if you have enabled a hierarchy within Culture Amp. Read more about adding a hierarchy.
This section shows any errors that prevent Culture Amp from building a valid hierarchy from your data.
You’ll need to correct these errors in your source data and re-import in order to proceed. Learn more about how to correct errors with hierarchy validation.
This section highlights any employees with improperly formatted demographic data. Any employee that appears in this section will not be updated once you process the upload/import. Don't worry, though, these ignored users will not prevent the rest of the upload/import from being successfully applied to your account.
Users are grouped by issue type. Troublesome data fields are highlighted in yellow so you can quickly identify the underlying problem, resolve it in your source file/HRIS, and re-upload/import.
If you experience a "Duplicate email" warning, please check your user list in the platform for emails and/or employee IDs that may have been deactivated. Emails and Employee IDs must be unique. If these already exist in an inactive state, you may want to activate that employee instead of creating a new profile. If an error persists, please contact support for further assistance.
This section provides a summary of the demographics found in your upload/import (e.g. Location). Make sure that every demographic you included in your data file appears here.
These three sections list the total number of users that will be added to, deactivated (or removed) from, or updated in your account as a result of an upload/import. New or updated demographic values are highlighted in green so you can quickly see what data will change as a result of an upload.
NOTE: If you are using Culture Amp Performance, reach out to Product Support once you have completed your import to request a one-time demographic mapping.